Health tips for FIFO workers
Flying in and out for work can take a toll on both your physical and mental health. From disrupting sleep cycles to putting strain on relationships to preventing you from finding time for self-care, the FIFO way of life can be tough.
Here are ten simple tips to help prevent fatigue and maintain good mental health.
- Make sleep a priority.
- Drink more water than you think you need.
- Avoid foods and beverages that are high in sugar.
- Avoid alcohol the day before you fly to maintain hydration.
- Commit to meditating for at least 10 minutes a day.
- Don’t let exercise fall by the wayside.
- Journal about your experience and feelings.
- Leave notes for your family to open each day.
- If you’re a parent, snap some photos of where you work so your kids have a visual of where you are and what you’re doing.
- When you’re off – truly try to “be off.”